The Chevening Scholarship offers a unique opportunity for future leaders to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK, while receiving full financial support to study for any eligible master’s degree at any UK university.
The British Chevening Scholarship program was established in 1983 and is funded by the British Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) along with partner organizations. It offers fully-funded scholarship one-year master’s degrees at any UK university to outstanding emerging leaders from all over the world.
|Scholarship Name||Chevening Scholarship|
|Funded By||UK Government’s FCDO|
|Degree Level||One-year master’s degree|
|Universities||Any UK university|
|Eligibility||Citizens of Chevening countries, 2:1 degree, 2 years work experience|
|Coverage||Full tuition, stipend, flights, visa fees|
|Duration||12 months fixed|
|Applications Per Year||Over 50,000|
|Scholarships Awarded||Approximately 1,500|
|Selection Criteria||Academics, work experience, leadership, commitment to home country|
|Deadline||November of each year|
The scholarship covers flights, accommodation, and course fees, allowing recipients to focus on achieving their professional goals and maximizing their experience in the UK.
British Chevening Scholarship in UK Universities – Apply Now!
The Chevening Scholarship is a prestigious UK government-funded program that offers fully-funded one-year master’s degrees at any British university to outstanding students from around the world. The highly competitive scholarship aims to develop global leaders and further strengthen UK international relations.
To be eligible for a Chevening Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry to a postgraduate program at a UK university. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honors degree in the UK.
- Have at least two years of work experience
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by the time of application to Chevening
- Meet the English language requirements of the university
- Return to your home country for a minimum of two years after completing your studies
The Chevening Scholarship offers full financial support for scholars. It covers:
- The full tuition fees of the selected course
- A monthly stipend for living expenses
- Travel costs to and from the UK
- An arrival allowance
- The cost of a visa
- A travel grant to attend Chevening events in the UK
Applications for Chevening Scholarships open around August each year, with a deadline in early November. The application involves:
- Submitting an online application form
- Two references from referees
- Education documents
- English language certificate
- Work experience documents
The application is very competitive with typically over 50,000 applications for around 1,500 scholarships each year. Applicants go through a rigorous selection process that takes around 8 months.
Number of Scholarships
For the 2023-2024 academic year, there are over 1,500 fully-funded Chevening Scholarships available globally. The scholarships are distributed across different regions:
- Latin America and Caribbean: 110 scholarships
- South Asia: 130 scholarships
- Sub-Saharan Africa: 240 scholarships
- Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia: 90 scholarships
- East Asia and Pacific: 320 scholarships
- MENA (Middle East and North Africa): 110 scholarships
- North America: 40 scholarships
- Western Europe: 160 scholarships
The Chevening Scholarship provides comprehensive financial support for the entire duration of the scholar’s chosen master’s degree. This includes:
- Tuition Fees: Covers the full tuition fees charged by the university for the entire course duration, usually 1 year.
- Monthly Stipend: Provides £1,223 per month for living expenses while studying in the UK.
- Travel Costs: Covers a return economy flight ticket from the scholar’s country to the UK.
- Arrival Allowance: Offers a one-time £335 allowance for initial expenses after arriving in the UK.
- Visa Fees: Takes care of any visa application or healthcare surcharge costs.
- Travel Grant: Provides funding to attend Chevening events and conferences within the UK.
The Chevening Scholarship funds a one-year master’s degree program at a UK university. Scholars need to begin their degree between September and October of the year in which they receive the scholarship.
The scholarship duration is fixed at one year, regardless of whether the master’s degree runs longer. Scholars are sponsored by Chevening for only the first 12 months of their course.
Chevening Scholars are selected based on the following criteria:
- Academic Excellence: Applicants must demonstrate outstanding academic achievement in their undergraduate studies, usually attaining a minimum GPA equivalent to a 2:1 in the UK.
- Work Experience: At least 2 years of full-time professional work experience is required along with proven skills and achievements.
- Leadership Potential: Applicants must exhibit the potential to become influential leaders in their professional fields and local communities.
- Commitment to Home Country: Scholars need to prove their commitment to return and contribute to the development of their home countries after completing their studies.
The deadline for Chevening Scholarship applications is in early November each year.
Helpful Links for Chevening Scholarship 2024: