The NL Scholarships, formally known as Holland Scholarship, is a scholarship for international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who want to pursue their bachelor’s or master’s degree in the Netherlands. This scholarship helps cover study expenses for eligible students.
The Holland Scholarship provides critical financial assistance to high-achieving international students from countries outside Europe who wish to study in the Netherlands. The €5,000 scholarship covers expenses in the first year of bachelor’s or master’s study.
The NL Scholarship is available in many Universities in the Netherlands. What you have to do is secure an admission first into the university and if you are not able to get a Full scholarship you can also apply for the NL Scholarship to further support your tuition fees.
|Eligibility||Non-EEA nationals admitted to eligible Dutch bachelor’s/master’s degree programs|
|Scholarship Amount||€5,000 one-time award|
|Application Process||Online application after admission + supporting docs|
|Number of Awards||700 scholarships available annually|
|Coverage||Tuition, living costs, airfare for 1st year of study|
|Duration||One year only|
|Selection Criteria||Academics, essays, recommendations|
|Deadlines||The deadline matters in which university you are applying|
This scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture, and Science as well as several Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences.
Eligibility Criteria for NL Scholarships
To be eligible for the Holland Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a national of and living in a country outside the EEA.
- Have applied for a bachelor’s or master’s program at a Dutch higher education institution with institutional tuition fees of at least €2,143 per year.
- Not already be receiving a different scholarship through another Dutch scholarship program.
Additionally, applicants must meet the specific admission requirements set by the university or college they are applying to.
The Holland Scholarship is valued at €5,000. This is a one-time amount awarded for the first year of study.
Students must follow these steps to apply for the Holland Scholarship:
- Apply for admission to an eligible bachelor’s or master’s program at a Dutch higher education institution. Meet all admission requirements set by the institution.
- After securing admission, students can apply for the scholarship by submitting the online Holland Scholarship application before the deadline. This application is available on the Holland Scholarship website.
- Provide supporting documents including copies of passport, admitted student letter, and transcripts.
- Submit the complete application package before the deadline. Deadlines are in May for September enrollment and October for February enrollment.
Number of Holland Scholarship
The Holland Scholarship offers 700 scholarships annually. This funding is provided by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science as well as several Dutch research universities.
The €5,000 Holland Scholarship amount helps cover costs related to:
- Tuition fees
- Cost of living expenses
- Books and supplies
- Health insurance
- Visa/residence permit costs
The scholarship funding is provided one time for the first year of study only.
The Holland Scholarship is awarded for the first year of the bachelor’s or master’s program. It does not cover the entire duration of the degree program. Students will need to plan other financial resources to cover costs in subsequent years.
The Holland Scholarship selection is based on:
- Academic excellence and prior academic performance
- Quality and content of personal essay and statement of purpose
- Recommendations from professors or other referees
Top performing students are selected based on this criteria.
There is no deadline for the NL Scholarship. The deadline matters in which university you are applying.
NL Scholarship Participating Research Universities
Universities participating in the NL Scholarship for the 2024-2025 academic year.
- Leiden University
- Utrecht University
- University of Groningen
- Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Maastricht University
- VU Amsterdam
- Radboud University
- Tilburg University
- Delft University of Technology
- Eindhoven University of Technology
- University of Twente
- Wageningen University
- Theological University Apeldoorn
- Theological University Kampen
Participating Universities of Applied Sciences 2024-2025
- Aeres University of Applied Sciences
- Amsterdam University of the Arts
- ArtEZ Institute of the Arts
- Breda University of Applied Sciences
- Codarts Rotterdam
- Design Academy Eindhoven
- Driestar educatief
- Fontys University of Applied Sciences
- Gerrit Rietveld Academie
- The Hague University of Applied Sciences
- Hanze University of Applied Sciences
- Hotelschool The Hague
- Royal Academy of Art, The Hague
- Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences
- HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht
- Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
- HAN University of Applied Sciences
- HKU University of Applied Sciences
- HZ University of Applied Sciences
- NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences
- Saxion University of Applied Sciences
- Van Hall Larenstein University of Applied Sciences
- Zuyd University of Applied Sciences